Thursday, June 11, 2009

Quote of the day

Whenever Shah Rukh talks about Islam, I tend to cringe visibly. I've long ago accepted that I don't understand his perception of Allah and Islam, and it's okay that I don't understand it.

After I read "Life of Pi" I realised that the problem lies not in being unable to understand what Shah Rukh is saying, but in being unable to understand how Islam is perceived and practiced in his home country.

Malaysian muslims have their own ways that I'm sure Shah Rukh and the muslims in India may not understand or even agree with. What's important is recognizing our differences and working towards maintaining harmony.

Although, as is everything good in life... these ideals are easy to preach but difficult to follow.


Source
You said that you are making an effort to rediscover Islam. Why now?
Now that I am a father, I have to read up on various subjects, including religion. When my children ask me questions about God, I have to give them an answer. But I am happiest when my son defines God as Ganesh Allah. I don’t want that to change. That sounds so right to me. I tell my son, God, Allah and Bhagwan are all one. My daughter is still too young to ask questions like these.

What role does religion play in your personal life?
I am godfearing and would not like to do anything that may make god unhappy. I smoke and apologise to god for not being able to stop the bad habit. And I believe in heaven and hell.

No comments:

Post a Comment