Monday, June 29, 2009

Quotes of the day

Farah Khan:
SD: When it began, did you believe that it was going to be such a huge success?
FK: Of course. When I wrote the script, I knew it well that it had to be a commercial success. Otherwise, it’s a 30 crore movie; it was a big film, its got Shah Rukh and everything. It wasn’t designed to be a niche film. When we read the script and throughout the shooting, I think this is the first time I heard Shah Rukh say, ‘this is a big one’. And Shah Rukh never praises his own movies.


SD: When you realized that ‘Saawariya’ and OSO’ were releasing the same time, was there a feeling of nervousness?
FK: No, I was never nervous. In fact, Shah Rukh and I discussed this; everyone would want their film to be a solo release. It’s not like we have a big ego or something. I wouldn’t want a Bhojpuri film to have joint release. I knew that ‘Saawariya’ and ‘OSO’ were two different kinds of film.


SD: Did you understand Sanjay Leela Bhansali’s grouse in the end?
FK: Yes, I can understand it. It’s human nature. Its defense mechanism in the end. Because after so much success, it made it difficult to handle even the slightest criticism and this one got real slander. It was brutal. See, I’ve seen my dad go through it. I’ve seen failures. I’ve seen Shah Rukh go through ups and downs. When ‘Phir Bhi Dil Hai Hindustani’ released, he was getting kicked, people were saying he’s over. I think, how you handle your failure is a little more important than how you handle your success.


SD: So Farah Khan’s involvement as a director is going to be restricted to Red Chillies after delivering two hits with them?
FK: I’m quite happy with Red Chillies right now. ‘Coz Shah Rukh and I share a great rapport and they’re offering me whatever or perhaps better than what anyone else’s offering. So there’s no reason to work with another production house. It’s a comfort factor. I have worked as a choreographer with so many producers. But this is comfortable, its like my company, contrary to what’s written, I’m the one who’s controlling the budgets and Shah Rukh says, ‘Spend, spend, spend’. He’s like you’re not spending enough. And anyways I’m out of action for a year now.


SD: There was something in the press about a fallout between Shirish and Shah Rukh over his next directorial venture in which he wanted SRK to act.
FK: I can’t answer that because the two of them are handling it. But there was no fall out between them. They are fine. We go for dinners to Shah Rukh’s house and he comes over many a times. There was no fallout so there was no awkwardness between them. And this was all when I was working on the last leg of ‘OSO’. Shah Rukh and I also had like zero problem.


SD: And was Viveik the only other actor you approached?
FK: Yeah. I narrated the script to Viveik because I’d to start shooting. Shah Rukh actually asked me to meet Viveik, it was his suggestion. We basically wanted a hero to play the villain’s part, not some character artist. Then finally we dragged Arjun on new year’s night into the bathroom, people were banging the door on the outside, they were wondering what the three of us were doing inside. And we bullied Arjun saying, ‘Just shut up and do it. Just trust us.’ After that Arjun was alright and eventually played the part. Half an hour, the three of us were inside the bathroom talking. I’m sure people thought some weird casting couch is going on inside.


SD: Earlier it seemed like Yash Raj and Shah Rukh Khan were in a symbiotic relationship. Today, with SRK’s stakes raising high, Yash Raj needs Shah Rukh more than SRK needs Yash Raj.
FK: I don’t think Shah Rukh ever needed anyone. He brings his own USP to the table, for whoever he does a movie. Whether it’s a ‘Don’ or it’s a ‘Chak De’ or something. He is Shah Rukh Khan, so I don’t think he needs them more or vice versa. As long as it’s a good film and sometimes even if it’s not a good film, he kind of swings it with his charisma, and his star power. At least he gets that opening. With ‘OSO’ becoming a success, for Shah Rukh it’s a good thing, because Red Chillies is now one of the top five production houses in the country. ‘OSO’ is one of the highest grossing films of the last ten years.


SD: So tell me about your own production now?
FK: Just that I’m waiting for them to come out yaar (pointing at her baby bump)So one does gonna be choreographer, one film editor and the other director?By twenty years they’ll be tycoons yaar. They’ll do whatever they want. But they’d surely be doing something connected to films. With my husband and I in films, with my brother Saajid in films and Shah Rukh around there’ll be a complete filmi atmosphere, which I think is great. I’ll take them on the sets and leave them there.


Arjun Rampal:
SD: Your character was the villain of ‘Om Shanti Om’ (OSO). Was it a tough decision to make considering that you’ve played hero so far? Or was it simply the mounting of this magnum opus that made you give the nod of approval?
AR: I think it was a tough decision because it is the toughest role I have played. Initially I was a bit skeptical and then I spoke to Farah and Shah Rukh about my fears and Shah Rukh said to me as an actor when one takes on a film it is about the different expressions one can get out of it. Six or seven years ago the films were much more hero centric. I think all actors nowadays are just playing characters and hero is the film itself. Actors are changing their looks for films. Yet this was a very negative character and therein was the challenge.


SD: Were you insecure when you were not promoted in the initial promotions of ‘OSO’? It seemed to be only SRK and Deepika and even Shreyas Talpade had made it to the high ranks but not you.
AR: Sure. What you are saying is right. But if I had a song in the film then that would be promoted. It’s the way we promote our films. As for the teaser, I know for a fact that they wanted to promote me as the surprise package of the film. There was no point for them to open all their cards. Being a superstar and having a huge draw at the box-office Shah Rukh still works so hard to create awareness about his film, so when Shah Rukh has a plan you follow it.


SD: When SRK sports a six pack, does it take the limelight away from Arjun’s Adonis physique?
AR: No, I don’t think so. I think Shah Rukh’s six pack is an achievement. He has not done it over six months like people think. He has been working out for three and a half years on his body and he has been very aware of it. It all started when his son Aryan showed him a six pack and said. ‘dad you don’t have this’, and it has taken him this much time because of his neck injury and knee injury. He is not even a gym going person. Having the addictive personality that he has, he has achieved this and any person who is fit and inspires others is a role model. He has a lean, nice body, not a steroid infested or pumped up unusual one. He looks athletic, it suits him. I know my fitness levels and I don’t get into comparisons unnecessarily. It didn’t require me to remove my shirt so I didn’t. Maybe in the next film we do together we will both come bare bodied.


Viveik Oberoi:
SD: Weren’t you worried about the fallouts of saying no to a biggie like ‘OSO’ especially since the producer and Bollywood power center Shah Rukh Khan is not known to take rejection very kindly?
VO: Both SRK and Farah were so absolutely nice and encouraging through this whole process that even I was taken aback. I know them and did not expect them to be vicious. But I didn’t think they would be so graceful, this just strengthened our relationship. I will always respect and thank them for that. But at that point in time I did not want to do that role because personally that was not the direction I wanted my career to go. They respected that and we are still great friends and we do spend a lot of time and have a lot of fun together and Farah still maintains that I was the first guy who told her that the film would be the biggest hit of the year and of her career. She sent me an sms saying that when the film was released and declared a mega hit.The second thing is that for me to say no to ‘OSO’ should have been the scariest moment of my life but it turned out to be the most secure and fearless moment. Because if the project was so big and I could say no there because of the firm conviction I had in my head, then I had a lot of clarity. It was a great role for someone who wanted to do it but not for me.

SD: Today when you make an appearance for a Kolkata Knight Riders’ match and cheer the team in full gear, is it your way of saying to SRK that I might have said no for the film but I am ready to bend backwards for you?
VO: No, it is an honest way of saying thank you for being so wonderful and not allowing a professional decision to come in the way of personal friendship. Tomorrow if I became a senior star and subsequently a producer, I would take a page from SRK’s book. Whatever your decisions might be professionally, he does not treat you personally on the basis of that. If he does not like you, he will not invite you. Let us be honest, at the stature he is at today, someone like me will not even matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment