Sunday, February 22, 2009

Interview: During the making of CDI in Australia

"I married the girl I was in love with, and we decided that I would do 5 films and return to Delhi. That was on 26th June, 1991, and I am still here …. So I guess, it’s that injury that marked the beginning of my career as an actor. In fact, I did not know I could act, I still don’t know if I can act, but now I think my own reputation impresses me so much, that I think I can act, and act well!”

“The idea is to make sure that you’re giving your best, the very best you possibly can, and then leave the rest. And as I am never thinking about my forthcoming scenes or working on them, I am at ease when it comes to acting them out, which comes across on screen as natural emotion. I guess I’ve been acting for so long, that its become a way of life for me, and after 18 long years in the industry, its silly for me to say, God, the routine is tiring….after all this is what I do, it’s my day job. And night ! Like right now, it’s after 4 am….”

On his own production company

“We have a company that produces films, and when I say ‘we’, I mean everyone who works for it, either as a director, producer or even general staff. Aziz and Juhi Chawla are a part of it, so is Farah Khan (who’s also family), and a whole range of directors who have worked on our films, and inshallah, many more will. We produce a film once every year on an average; sometimes we are successful, sometimes not, but it’s never been considered as a business. Our vision is not wholly focused on business, but neither are we only a creative outfit. It is sustenance for the 60-odd workers in the company, and houses a fully developed VFX department, a complete advertising production department, and a film production unit. But I have plans for its future, and with the consent of my friends, I’m looking at making it a little larger, maybe get a few more films produced….although I won’t act in them, as I already have too much work. I would like the company to become self-sustaining in terms of money and technology, including equipment like cameras, cranes and maybe even a recording sound studio. I have a vision of a one-stop-shop for film production”.

On what success means to him

“If you start analysing success you become redundant, because it would take a lifetime to analyse something as intangible as success. I don’t think I owe my success to extreme good looks, because I’m not a stunner; nor extreme talent, and I don’t genuinely believe that I am the greatest living actor, but what stands out in me is that I am willing to take a chance. I am not intimidated by new challenges, and am willing to try something that has never been done before. I guess this attitude has grown on me because I am not bred within the film industry, and years in it have taught me a lot. I can do a bad guy’s role or even remake a masterpiece, but I take the chance despite my nervousness and lack of being completely in control. I give it a shot, and it’s my best shot. And I have my little rewards, like Paheli, which lost money, but went to the Oscars. Although I must admit that my desire to take risks has mellowed … probably because the older you get, the less inclined you are to be rash. I guess I’m getting old….”.

Reason for acting

“Primarily to entertain, but now I act to say ‘thank you’ to everybody who has, I truly believe, given me much more than I deserve . I feel a little guilty for all that I have, and the best way of getting rid of some of this guilt, I think, is by saying ‘thanks’ through my films”.

The rest of the interview is here.

No comments:

Post a Comment