Saturday, February 21, 2009

Interview: I'm very embarassed when I'm called a Superstar

Excerpts:

"I'm very embarrassed when I'm called a superstar and I'm even embarrassed when I'm told that I'm no longer a superstar. Let me tell any actor who is a superstar or who wants to become one that it's not about getting it right at all... but getting it right consistently. And that's difficult. I've been a consistent actor-star for the last ten years and I'm proud of that. It's not about doing the right films, right songs or looking cool. The belief that you're doing the right thing is much more important. It takes an Herculean amount of effort to get up every morning for 10 years and say that I'm doing it right. It's all about keeping the balance too. When people say Shah Rukh Khan's better than X,Y,Zee, I don't believe them. Neither do I beleive anyone who says that X,Y,Zee is better than Shah Rukh Khan."

"That's fine by me. I never thought that the trade would understand me either but they have understood me and they've loved me. Now I'm trying to make them understand another facet... in time they will. I've met people who've said it's okay if your film wasn't a hit. C'mon, I'm not stupid I knew Asoka wouldn't become the biggest hit of the year. I can tell you the business of the film the day I see it. I'm not a fool. I hope for the best and I wish that it earns more than it deserves. I've been part of some of the most successful films made in India and I've also have been a part of some of most unsuccessful films made in India. But I've never been a part of some of the most unitelligent films made in India. Intelligently, one has gone right or wrong. Abbas-Mustan made Badshah for no other reason apart from their love for me. I forced them to make it. I felt bad later because my beliefs made someone else suffer. It's not fair. I made both my films (Phir Bhi Dil Hai Hindustani and Asoka) with my beliefs and I'll make my third one too with my beliefs. Making films is my way of saying thank you for putting me in a position where I can make films."

"I'm as emotional as I was. I still feel lonely, I still feel sad and I still cry. But now when I feel lonely, I just lie down next to my kids and I'm okay. I'm still very ambitious. I still want to come first in every race. I have only two fears: one, some day I won't be able to see myself, I'll become completely invisible. And two, my bones. I hope there's a shop which gives a new set of bones."

"Asking me if I'm a bisexual is as as inane as asking me--don't you fall in love with your heroines? I love my heroines but I don't fall in love with them. When I started out people said I was too energetic, then I was said to be manipulative. Then came stories about me doing substance abuse, having affairs and being a bisexual. I've been in this business too long for such loose talk to affect me."

For the complete interview, pls visit this page.

No comments:

Post a Comment