Monday, February 23, 2009

Roaming updates

I'm seeing a future where I turn fan reporter if this kind of updates keeps up. I'll give this blog a year to flourish before I can confidently say I'm here to stay XD

Let's get on to the headlines, shall we. Some are not new but it's about one future venture or another so I'll just include them.

1. Clash of the Dons at the Box Office
...I thought this one has been settled? Farkhan supposedly put his Don 2 project on hold coz Amitji was set to star on a Don remake (now why would he want to do that in the first place?) and that he finally decided to go through with it when Amitji's film looked like it's not going to see the light of day. Then it was rumoured that Amitji will be one of the cast in Farkhan's Don 2. Now this piece of news has cropped up. I don't know which headline to believe but whichever is going to happen, I think it'll be awesome. I love it when SRK is being challenged by heavyweights. He's excellent when he's the lone King at the top but he's beyond words when he's in the 'stadium' fighting it out like a gladiator. He's an inspiring fighter, that's what he is.

2. Aamir Khan and Shah Rukh Khan movies to clash again
...my first thought was, "What the hell are they doing??", which was followed by, "Hoshiz, this is so cool!" XD. You have to look at our dull Malaysian cinema scenario to understand my excitement. Aamir's and SRK's fans are alwiz bitching about who did better at the BO, Ghajini or RNBDJ (Ghajini fared better in India, RNBDJ rocked overseas) but in the violent exchanges of gaali they conveniently forgot one thing.. both movies have benefited the Hindi cinema immensely, esp following the dearth of cashflow (let alone profit) into the distributors' and cinema owners' pockets after the Mumbai attack. They should celebrate the achievement of both films instead of concentrating on the supposed 'cold war' between the 2 main actors. But maybe they're just having fun being childish on the net.

3. Asin and Farhan Akhtar grab top prizes
...and RNBDJ + SRK are nowhere to be seen ^^;

However, I do think the fans have missed something nice in their uproar over the near-nil nomination for RNBDJ and SRK: a veteran actor and a debutante are both being nominated. I thought it's beyond cool that Naseerudinji got nominated for A Wednesday and I like Farhan, not just coz he's SRK's buddy but he's also a really nice actor. His movies are unconventional and they appeal to a modern sensibility. I hope he keeps up with the good work.

I want Shahrukh to do that too one day, being nominated as Best Actor when he's around 70 years old, not just once but several times. I hope I'm still alive to watch those award functions on cable. There are quite a few nominations with new names and non-formulaic Hindi films too so I'm happy (even tho I still think award functions that ignore SRK's hit movies are losers). I wish I could be this happy with Malaysian films that got nominated in our award functions ..heh.

3. Ghajini director zeroes in to Shah Rukh Khan
...what's with the 'out-and-out romance' tag in this article anyway? It's been appearing everywhere and getting on my nerves. Are they trying to say that Shah Rukh is going back to his 'romantic root' after 'dabbling with character roles' for a few years?

4. Hollywood here we come
...I'll have you know that Shah Rukh has predicted this since the time he first joined the movie industry and has been spouting to all and sundry about his dream for a one-stop shop for movie-making facilities that will cater to the needs of international teams who would want to make films in India, while everyone in the industry and India was still looking down on their own products (it's like Japan and their love-hate relationship with anime and manga. I dun get it). What can I say.. he's a visionary.

I know Shah Rukh said something about being bored going to the Cannes and Oscars. I read a comment somewhere criticizing him for that when he then turned around and congratulated SM for winning so many awards in GG and Oscars. But see, he's a self-confessed schizophrenic. You can't pin him down over any of his conflicting and contradictory 'statement' XDD

That said, I thought it was awesome that AR Rehman won an Oscar... oops, sorry... TWO oscars! I do agree that in award functions like this, major wins usually have political elements attached to them, but that's not to say that the movie doesn't deserve it. If a movie's good, it's good. It does seem interesting tho that on the eve of Hillary's departure to China to trade air-smooches with their leaders, India.. the 4th largest economy in the world (GDP of $3 trillion in 2007) and predicted to surpass that of the US in 2043 (wiki link).. is being recognised on an international platform like the Oscars. Dem right I'm seeing gateways being opened.

No comments:

Post a Comment