Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Roaming... and some cricket comments

I just knew that Shah Rukh came to the 54th Filmfare! *bonks own head for not sourcing that out sooner* ..o my, he's looking dapper with the designer sling. Such co-ordination, white suit.. black sling. *ogles the half-opened shirt*
More pictures to be found here.

I've been reading some comments by fans and non-fans about him not getting the Best Actor award and all I can say is, relax people. Of course he wants to win in everything, but if he acts only to get awards, I tell ya.. he wouldn't have played some roles he's chosen to date. Actually, even though I'm an SRK fan, I only want him to win Best Actor when the juries and people think he deserves it. Period. Can we please move on?

This one puzzled me though.. what's the past between Amitji and Rekha? (too lazy to find it out myself).

On cricket

By now everyone who's not even a cricket fan surely must have watched/heard of the massacre that killed 8 people (6 police and 2 civillians) and injured 4 (or 7?) Sri Lankan cricket players in Pakistan.

Why am I blogging about it here? Becoz Shah Rukh is the only reason why I'm even taking an interest in cricket in the first place. I'm not into sports. I've never understood how people can journey thousands of kilometers away from their hearth and home to watch a bunch of boys kick/bowl/hit a ball from one end of the field to another. But ever since SRK bought his cricket team, I've been following some news on the Indian cricket front (altho I have to confess I understand zilch. Most of the cricket terms don't even sound English), but my interest in it is still not enough to make me watch the game from start to finish though ^^;

Several countries have already boycotted playing in Pakistan, Australia since 1998 and followed by others: England, South Africa and New Zealand. Some excerpts on the 2011 World Cup:

"Of the 15 World Cup venues that had been identified, eight are in India, four in Pakistan, two in Sri Lanka and one in Bangladesh. Bangladesh is to host the opening ceremony on February 19, 2011 while the final will be played in India and the two semi-finals shared by Pakistan and Sri Lanka.

Sri Lanka had agreed to the tour after India pulled out of a scheduled Test visit to Pakistan earlier this year following worsening relations between the two nations over the Mumbai attacks." (link)

Some questions that have been playing in my mind as I watch the news:
  • If the attack was meant for the Sri Lankan team, why are the ones dead comprise of only Pakistani policemen and civilians (even though the article said that the gunmen 'appeared young and well-trained')?
  • Who stands to gain the most from these attacks? ..surely not Pakistan as ICC is under pressure to move the Champions Trophy out of that country (and this has been countered by the threat from the Pakistan Cricket Board that it will boycott the Champions Trophy if the tournament is relocated to another country). But as an outsider, I understand the fear of allowing their teams to go to a country to play a game while facing the risk of being sprayed by bullets on the way to the field.
  • How will this affect cricket and cricket players from Pakistan? How is Shohaib's status with Kolkatta Knight Riders for the second season?

Man, without any knowledge of the game, it's almost impossible for me to understand the repercussions of what's happened. On a personal note: I hate this blanket term for all the atrocities committed all over the world - terrorists. Who the hell are these 'terrorists' anyway? If they're organised enough to appear 'equipped and trained', I say some biggies have been funding them to create havoc in someone else's countries for their own gains. But of course that theory won't go down well with 'the World Police'.. geh.

I hope they catch the guys who killed the Pakistani policemen and civillians. Their bereaved families deserve at least that much.

No comments:

Post a Comment