Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Fed up with windbag actors advocating for the poor and needy? Me too. But shutting up is worse

Source: Like it or not, I'm involved

Colin Firth guardian.co.uk, Sunday 5 July 2009 23.00 BST Article history

Why do you have to hear it from an actor? I have a profound dislike of activism. I don't enjoy hearing dispatches from the crisis zone delivered by actors and rock stars. I get no joy from fundraising events, op-eds, posters, speeches, slogans. I'm tired of it. And I'm tired of the crisis in Africa.

If your profession gives you a public voice, you have a new relationship with those who don't. Your voice becomes a cherished commodity. Not for its merits but for its sheer volume. You may have nothing to say, but those who do – the wise, the desperate and the better informed – all clamour to make use of your media connection.

We are not in a position to choose whether or not we have a relationship with our own society or with the world's poorest people. We can choose the nature of those relationships, but either way they're there. We're business partners. If we choose to ignore them we are simply choosing to make that relationship a negligent and destructive one. As voters and consumers we are directly complicit in the misery of the millions we do business with. If we let our governments and businesses think we are indifferent to their cynicism they will go on practising it on licence from us and every cup of coffee we drink and every piece of cotton we wear will continue to be an act of cruelty.

We are involved with Africa, whether we like it or not. Of course, I'm aware of famine, drought, poverty and corruption, but I also see the statesmanship of Mandela, Joaquim Chissano, Ellen Johnson-Sirleaf … the works of Achebe, Okri, Soyinka … the music of Fela Kuti, Cheikh Lo and Angelique Kidjo.

My own children will inherit all this together with the children of that continent. Within 15 years they'll be trading or fighting with each other, exchanging diplomacy or whatever other relationship we might have set in motion. They will also share the triple crisis of a global economic slump, high food prices and climate change – all of which will be addressed (or not) by this year's G8 in Italy.

Italy is another relationship I can't wish away. My wife and children are Italian. I am completely in love with that country for better or worse. I was decorated by the Italian ambassador as an exhortation to promote Italy's image abroad; an easy task when it comes to food, wine, architecture, etc … but one which will be made almost impossible if Silvio Berlusconi does not improve his lamentable record on aid. For this reason Oxfam issued me with call-up papers once again. I've held the giddy title of global ambassador for Oxfam for a number of years now.

So, with an all too familiar sinking feeling, the ambassador agreed to go to Italy to try to do something to persuade the G8 leaders to deliver on their aid promises and prevent the overwhelming number of preventable deaths taking place daily on their doorstep. No problem.

It's tempting to look for ways back to a decorous silence. To try to return to a pleasing and well-
argued belief that actors should shut up. But you can't unknow what you know. NGOs have a way of inviting you to be a firsthand witness. And once you've seen what a well-placed or well-timed word (by anybody) can do, shutting up starts to require some painful mental contortions.

I had dinner with Bob Geldof a couple of weeks ago. I explained that I felt I had to be judicious about when and when not to speak out, that I wanted to hold fire and keep under the radar so as not to blow all credibility. He said, "Fuck that, you've got to just go!"

If everyone did that, we could finally do away with long-winded actors.

No comments:

Post a Comment