Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Karan Johar - MNIK interview

Full article: Source

Was it a painful experience to shoot in LA?
In all my 11 years as a filmmaker I've never felt the experience to be so different. Content- wise My Name Is Khan is diametrically opposite to whatever I've done in the past. You know, on the very first day of shooting my cameraman Ravi Chandran looked at me and said, 'I don't think you've ever shot something like this.' This is the first time I'm directing a screenplay I haven't written myself. This gives me a level of detachment from the proceedings and yet a lot of attachment. It has released a whole plethora of unexplored emotions in my head. This time I'm being creative in a different way. And Shah Rukh plays a completely different human being I've never directed that person before. It took a few days for all of us to get into the groove. How this exploration of a new territory will turn out, no one knows.

How was it directing Shah Rukh and Kajol again?
I am blessed to have them in my film. I don't know what it's about them. It's just magic. They build an inexplicable energy on screen. They instinctively understand each other's acting. When I direct a scene with Shah Rukh and Kajol I know I'm doing my best work. These two characters in My Name Is Khan HAD to be SRK and Kajol.

Was Kajol weighed down on location by her motherly duties?
Not at all. I've worked with Kajol in various stages of her life. I'm working her again eight years later. When we worked the last time she didn't have a daughter. So of course she's a different person. Today I find her calmer, more focused on her work than ever before. Of course she has a really cute daughter to look after. But Kajol manages to be fantastic wife-mother and actress. I find Shah Rukh and Kajol alike in their attitude to work and family. They're both so much into their spouses and kids. When the shot is over they rush to their respective family. On location in LA between shots they spoke to each other about their respective families.

How was Shah Rukh?
Time and again I'm blown away by Shah Rukh. How can he think of so many things about his character when he has so much on his plate? He has done monumental research on his autistic character. I was zapped by how much he knew on the subject. And he brought all the knowledge on the sets without any strain. He had written reams of notes on how he wanted to interpret his character. And to him it was no big deal for him. He's ready to direct a film any time. He will be outstanding at it. His understanding of human nature and emotions can never be matched by me.

No comments:

Post a Comment