Friday, July 17, 2009

Only the Strong... the movie that got the world started on the Capoeira craze

Mark Dacascos will always be the man who introduced Capoeira to us: my siblings, my country, heck... the world! It's thanks to this movie that the beautiful art became a craze among martial arts enthusiasts. I remember how my big brother, who's the one responsible for introducing me to the love of martial arts, was so gung-ho about it. And I love to dance, so naturally it attracts me ..the beauty and the savagery of it all... although unfortunately I'm too self-conscious to actually immerse myself in it. When Mr. Stevens took a hold of that 'parang' (or short sword) in the final fight, it just hit you with a bang that this is actually a deadly sports if taken into that territory... not just a few kids having fun jumping and somersaulting around a room without a clue.

The movie was in 1993. And no one knew at the time that it's going to start a culture around the world... certainly no one in Malaysia predicted that the culture is strong enough to open a Capoeira school in Kuala Lumpur in 2007. It's called Escola Brasileira de Capoeira, or The Brazilian School of Capoeira (EBC) and the classes are held in several places. There's even a drop-in session, so it's perfect for people who want to try it out and see whether it suits them or not. Check out the website link I pasted for more details. One of this days, I'd probably go to one of them myself and watch a few demos.




NEXT

No comments:

Post a Comment