Monday, May 11, 2009

Dispelling the SRK Myth - Intro

My first commentor, yeay! Thank you for your comment. It has given me an idea for a new section in my blog. Something I feel like pursuing with vigour coz I'm crazy like that.

I dunno where so many people... fans, anti, media, the whole bleeding general public... got the idea that Shah Rukh is now less charming, more pompous and have developed a bloated ego due to his super success. Guys/gals... if you can believe me, and please do... he was much less charming, more pompous and with a more bloated ego before he started his movie career. I find that the more successful he gets, the more humble and down-to-earth he has become. He's one cool dude.

I've made it one of the missions of this blog to prove this (yeah, my SRK blog has missions... haven't you realized that already?? XD). If you have followed my postings, you may know by now that I try very hard not to deal with media-concocted rumours. I always state the sources of whichever 'news' I paste here so you can make up your mind to believe them or not. I paste quotes with sources and follow them up with video clips of the interviews if they're available on the net because I found that the written interviews usually contain misquotes and that annoys me. And I don't participate in discussions about who's better and bigger in Bollywood except for a coupla rants when I got extremely pissed off with all the childishness and juvenile attitude.

After KR got massacred in IPL 2, I don't care if Shah Rukh is now numbered ONE from the bottom of the pile by the media. I'm his fan. The graph of his life is full of dramatic ups and downs, so contrary to my almost static one. Plus, he's a wonderful conversationalist. I can watch/listen to/read his interviews over and over and still be entertained. Something I can't say for any of the celebrities I've liked in the past (well, except for one guy but he's turned into a boring bloke nowadays so I've dumped him).

Maybe you've got into the fandom at a time when he has already become a household name with his statues scattered in several esteemed places all over the world, his answers in interviews are becoming intensely cleaner and consciously more controlled (like he's just come down from the Himalayas and is now a practising yogi... or something), his name in the 41st place of the most powerful people on earth in 2008, and Europeans are asking their Indian tourists whether they've come from the land of Shah Rukh Khan.

But there was a time when he was just a theater performer turned successful TV actor who didn't want to do movies no matter how the producers, including Aziz Mirza, tried to convince him to get involved. If that is not the height of pomposity, I dunno what is.

The course of his life was changed irrevocably after his mother died. If it had not been for that immense loss at the early stage of his career, would we have our Shah Rukh Khan? To start every question with "What if...?" is something I hate to do but there're so many what-if's in Shah Rukh's history that it makes me mull over the wonders of life. I love Shah Rukh not just as an actor, but also as a teacher. He teaches me about life (the good, the lovely, the bad, the ugly, heck... the entire bleeding spectrum) just by the way he's living it and how he affects everyone around him who live in an area that probably covers the whole frigging globe.

This is going to be a regular feature in the blog, but I will write it slowly and with leisure coz I'm doing this as a hobby (I do have a dissertation to finish, you know. Although the 'sacred' treatise is sadly suffering from lack of attention..ha!). But if someone wanted to pay me, I'll write it faster XD. Who knows, it could become a book! Okay, okay... I'm exaggerating. I'd have to clean up all the gaali in my posts if I were to turn them into book chapters, and I can't be bothered to be that politically corrected. I'm like that enough offline, I'd suffocate if I have to wear my usual collar when I'm online as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment