Sunday, May 3, 2009

Just musing about SRK, as always...

I personally think that the franchise is a legacy for Aryan so all this talk among cricket fans and media about him trying to sell it off is really impulsive and baseless.

I don't understand why they're deliberately making his cricketing venture an uphill struggle for him, what with all the controversies due to the cricket officials last year and the Kolkatan KKR/cricket fans this year, but I'm telling ya it will only make him fight it all the way until he wins or until you guys leave him alone (and we know the latter is not gonna happen in a million years).

In a way, losing two seasons in a row takes the pressure of expectancy off his shoulder. Hey, I'm determined to look at it positively here!

Anyway, this reminds me of that "David vs Goliath" interview he did with Anupama Chopra (I think it's included in his Inner and Outer video). I've read a comment by an SRK fan who, being a bigger cricket fan than he is SRK's, said how he (it's always a male) had turned into a member of the SRK hate club because SRK's messed with the legendary Gavaskar, the Kolkatan prince and basically cricket in general. What a tall order. You're just giving yourself an excuse to make him a scapegoat for all your frustrations, huh? Does it make you feel better now?

Frankly I don't understand this emotional blender that fans always exhibit: "Aamir, I was your fan but after you insulted SRK, I hate you and will never watch your movie again!", "SRK, you shouldn't fight with Salman, I hate you and will never watch your movie again!", "Akki is King! SRK's movies are flops compared to his! I've never watched and will never watch SRK's films!" , etc. etc.

What does one have to do with the other? I'm not Aamir's fan and I've blogged on my feelings about him going around town spouting SRK's name to interviewers, but I would like to watch Fanaa (I haven't found it online and I don't have the budget to buy the DVD), a snippet from Taare Zameen Par brought tears to my eyes and I still remember Raja Hindustani and Maan with fond memories. I'm not into Salman's style of acting, but I did like him in Hum Aapke Hain Kaun and Partner, and I've always thought that Akshay Kumar's gonna be big in Bollywood and when he took such a long time to get recognized, I was sorta frustrated.

Maybe I'm an outsider who wasn't raised to treat these artistes as much more than the humans that they are. Or maybe these people take their reel life heroes so seriously because they lack real heroes in their mundane and dull day-to-day lives.

It's true that sometimes I feel like shouting, "Shah Rukh, don't say that! You're gonna get misunderstood/misinterpreted/misquoted/etc.!" but I bet that's what his wife has been telling him for 20-odd years and it's still not working XD. So I don't know why I should tell him what to say or what to do, just because I'm on the way to collect his entire filmography. Being a fan or anti (as they say it in Korea) does not entitle one the right to control one's idol's every movement.

Besides, if Shah Rukh had just been a good actor like Salman Khan or a good actor/producer like Aamir Khan, I would not have taken such an intense interest in his comings and goings. I think, more than anything, he has an indomitable spighit towards life itself that I wish I had. Unlike others, he talks a lot, and very articulately too, about his struggles, losses and successes. Usually public figures are only vocal on two out of those three things, but Shah Rukh shares everything.

Know what's the most amazing thing is? That he remains an enigma to us all despite it... and here's a measure of that obsession with the enigma that is Shah Rukh Khan, captured so vividly in high colour LOL.

No comments:

Post a Comment