Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Fair rights for Friday nights

I don't understand what's happening coz I don't understand the business of cinema. If I were the multiplex owner, I'd probably put forth the same proposal though... that I will pay 50:50 only if the film does well and if not, I will not share revenue equally. But that's coz I love money and I don't like to waste it on producers who sell me crap movies to show to my audience.

The producers who protest are heavyweights and they're giants in the industry for a reason, because they produce good or excellent films. If the demand is conceded by the multiplex owners, does it cover only the producers who were on the podium or the whole bleeding spectrum? If the latter, then I can certainly empathise with the owners' reluctance. I say, instead of all these emotional artistes arguing with equally emotional proprietors and not getting anywhere, both sides should start employing lawyers now to argue each other's case. Legal arguments are always good for creating loopholes later on XD

What strikes me as funny though is how the media swarmed around the two Khans and asked them about their 'rivalry'. Dudes... they'll always be rivals, and they'll always be friends. Some people are 'unpredictable' enough to loudly exclaim in public that they will never ever work with so and so for the rest of their lives, but these two are intelligent enough to refrain from ever reaching that level. So long as they're in the same business and as big as they are, they can't afford to ruffle each other's hair too much. It's the same situation if you are in an office relationship. I'd like to think I'm a good 'player' when it comes to office relationships, so I sorta get it.

I've given up trying to figure out why Aamir Khan was recently going around town deriding Shah Rukh to all and sundry after Ghajini became such a big success. If he had good reasons for it, then they're reasons I don't understand and don't want to waste time obsessing over. He's an excellent actor even though his acting style doesn't suit my wacky taste, so as a member of the audience... I'd like to just leave it at that. Anyway, my point after all the babbling? XD ...here are the headlines:

SRK-Aamir: Our name is Khan
Bollywood strike brings Aamir, Shah Rukh together
Actors root for producers’ demand
Bollywood producers call "cut" on multiplex releases
Multiplexes, here come the Khans
Khans get together to bat for equality in revenue-sharing
SRK, Aamir bat against multiplex row
Shah Rukh, Aamir share stage to bat for film distributors
Multiplexes row with producers continues
Bollywood's leading men unite in box office dispute
SRK, Aamir union results in media frenzy
Aamir, SRK join hands for 'Fair Rights for Friday Nights'
SRK-Aamir unite over multiplex issue
Aamir, SRK back together
The big SRK-Aamir patch up
Aamir, Shah Rukh join hands for a cause
Producers to outline course of action today
Standoff between Bollywood producers and multiplex owners
Aamir And Shah Rukh Khan Together In One Frame -(with Pictures)
Bollywood Strike Update: War and Peace
United front with wise-cracks
Fair Rights for Friday Night!
SRK, Aamir set aside spat over multiplex issue
Fight it, boys: Karan Johar
SRK, Aamir unite over multiplex strike
SRK, Aamir unite for 'equal rights for equal films'
Shah Rukh Khan and Aamir Khan fight! (For a cause)
Shah Rukh Khan, Aamir Khan Share Platform
Aamir and Shahrukh – united they stand!
Negotiation not an option: Aamir-SRK
Multiplex fight: King Khans add weight to producers lobby
Shah Rukh, Aamir Khan unite to end Multiplex Strike
Aamir, Shah Rukh side with producers
Shah Rukh-Aamir agree to ‘no more jibes’ contract
SRK, Aamir join hands for profit sharing
The SRK-Aamir ceasefire!
Aamir-SRK want a 50:50 partnership

....and what a huge list it is! You realise that most of them are concentrated on the Khan and the Khan instead of the issue at hand, right? Several things strike me at once:
  • In the midst of controversy about the multiple-captaincy issue that, thanks to Gavaskarji, got aggravated to the point of being surreal now... Shah Rukh showed up on the podium alongside the rest of his producer colleagues for solidarity on this issue. It works on his favour though so it's time and effort well spent. Why?
    • Him and Aamir with arms around each other fighting for a common cause after allegedly fighting with each other guaranteed this show some megawatt coverage
    • If the multiplex owners give in, and I think they eventually will or quite a number of them will have to close shop, everyone will remember everyone who has contributed. And of course the two Khans contribute more than most (if the tabloids are to be believed, and a lot of idiots do... I'm telling ya) to get this fight the recognition it deserves
    • Of course the 50:50 share is a good enough lure for any businessman who's worth his salt to come to the fore and fight for it. I think I'd like to grab the neck of any producer claiming that it's not an issue worth fighting for and throw the guy into a river full of crocodiles (my neighbourhood is near such a river so it's really convenient) coz he's SO not needed in the industry.
  • The title of my post is such a catchy line that it must have come from Shah Rukh, the King of Quotable Quotes himself XD
  • I shouldn't be annoyed at anything Aamir said against Shah Rukh in the future coz:
    • They're rivals who are buddies who are rivals. And it's a good thing. Rivalry keeps hardworking people on their toes and that guarantees better quality products, which will only benefit us... the fans and members of the audience
    • I'm Shah Rukh's fan, not Aamir's. Getting affected by a movie star I don't care to empathise with is a stupid thing. I know I'm stupid... but there're varying degrees to stupidity and I do hope I'm not way down there with all the dopes whose brainless comments I read often in some SRK-related blog/news articles.
    • They're men. They're supposed to spout abuses at each other in public ...and get into fist fights and stuff, which they'd probably indulge in if they were to act in a movie together LOL. What do we women know about it? (coz we usually execute our battles quietly behind the other woman's back to avoid unnecessary confrontations)
  • If the demand is conceded, will it affect the profit-sharing of multiplexes in other countries too? On second thought, why is this issue only argued in India (I googled it)? What about the multiplex owners-producers relationship elsewhere?
  • If the demand is conceded and it is true that the owners can't bear the cost, what will happen to this system? Will it go bankrupt to give way to an evolutional phase of movie theaters, the way multiplex has caused theater companies to go bankrupt during it's early stage of development in the US? If so, can they experiment with the new theater form by installing that virtual movie-viewing experience I was promoting in my previous post, complete with an interactive personal remote for each person in his/her seat? Oh, and a 99.999% capable, noise-filtering headphone... please?
Woah, this post is getting gargantuan XD. I predict that the multiplex owners will give in around next week (after the 2nd Friday XD), but with some amount of negotiations. Even though the producers adamantly said there'll be no negotiations.. oh, but c'mon. When demands like this are made, there'll always be some legal hassles. And when lawyers are involved, there'll be some compromises made, I bet.

No comments:

Post a Comment