Thursday, April 16, 2009

Movie talk: SRK in the non-BOs

Do you know that there are fans like me out there who somehow love your Box Office flops and average/mild hits more than the superhit/super-duper hit/blockbuster hit ones?

I love Anjaam more than Darr or Baazigar. I thought you were more wonderfully psychotic in it than in the other two. I love Ram Jaane. Actually, that’s an understatement. I’m so affected by that character that every time I watch the movie or song videos, I get depressed because I keep thinking that he becomes wild due to the circumstances of his birth and upbringing (of which he had none), and if it were not for that, he’d be a regular guy who’s absolutely amazing to be with and he’d get the girl for sure. I watched it several times without subtitle and had no idea what the guy was talking about in his last letter. That was about 10 years ago and that letter still haunts me. I love Maya Memsaab (I read that it's some kind of an art house thing and not a commercial film, is that true?), especially the scene where you barged into the train and walked purposefully towards that adulterous bitch. I often rewind that when I watch the movie (I found it in youtube a coupla months ago and downloaded it). I watched that movie in that ancient time when I was an undergraduate in the UK and I could still remember your scenes years afterwards (I completely forgot the scenes that don’t have you in them). I love Zamana Deewana too! I often rewound the 'sexy-dancing-in-the-rain' and 'carnival' songs.

I love Chaahat and watched it a few times, also without subtitle. I thought you portrayed the often-unlucky hero as a wonderfully positive and eternally hopeful guy, and somehow that struck a chord in me. Koyla is a film that seems as if it's been branded in my brain forever. After so many years have passed, I can still recall some of the fight scenes, when the woman dances to his drumbeat, his dog-like snarl, the time he was being made to eat hot coal when he was a kid. I even remember my disbelief that he got his voice back in the end. How could that be?? His vocal cord should have been destroyed, right? ...was what I was thinking over and over while watching the ending XD. And I love Dil Se to death. When I found out it wasn't a hit in India, I was really surprised. It was my first lesson on what sort of movies can or can't make it with the Indian audience.

Let's not forget Asoka, the best historical hindi movie ever made, according to me. I can watch it however many times and I still won't get bored. The change from the playful prince in love to the powerful king who did not stop at anything to control the throne and the whole country is ...I have no words for it except that it awes me every time I see your/his transformation. Again I don't understand why it was not a hit. O yeah, I like One 2 ka 4 too, not just coz it's shot in Malacca, my birth place (although I was concentrating too much on you that I missed the scenery ^^;), but also because you played a cop in it. Something you've never done before or ever since. I like watching you with that shoulder gun-strap, mmm ...sexy. SRK and guns, you know... you should do more films with that element in place. Oh, while on the subject of SRK and guns, please make Don 2 before I die. That could probably be tomorrow, so I hope you hurry up with it.

And of course, the recent flop: Paheli. How can I express with words how much I love that movie? I love the atmosphere of the movie. I love the characters, yes... even Banwari XD. He got called so often by the kaka that it makes me think, hmmm... he must be a capable guy, this Banwari. I love the VFX most of all. I keep rewinding the scenes where Kishanlal hits the ghost, pushes the ghost, etc. I love how the two don’t feel like the same person because you played both so differently. In fact, I want to dedicate the remaining letter to the beauty of Paheli. I don't know what makes a hit movie but I know when I like something, I'll like it regardless of how anyone else around me feels about it. And I hope there's not an ounce of regret in your heart that you made this movie because someone in Malaysia loves it to bits and pieces (me).

I've seen you in that get-up before... the angarakhis and dhoti... in a song sequence in English Babu Desi Mem. You also have a mustache in it. Immediately I was hooked and I wished that I could see you like that for a longer time. And I had my wish answered in Paheli. You may not like that mustache but I thought it made you look... somehow beautiful... esp. in that scene where the ghost was confessing to Lacchi. And you in that emerald necklace with the green coat in the last scene make me gape every time… they compliment you so well! You look really good in traditional costumes. As a matter of fact, you look good in anything or nothing, really. The costumes flatter you so much that it makes me wish you'd do a period film again sometime in the future. None of your period films has made it in the box office so far though (except perhaps Devdas... but that's not from your home production), so I don't know if you're eager to repeat the experience again so soon.

I love the comparison/contrast between the ghost and Kishenlal. And after I knew you always work the walk of the characters, I've always observed it. It's so apparent how different they both are in the scene where the ghost and Kishna go to meet the king, just from the way they walk. I love watching Kishna the most. I think he's the more difficult character to play, well.. IMO anyway. And altho Kishna is supposed to be this cold, monotonous guy who only likes to make money, you’ve played him in a way that always makes me go… awwww, poor guy. I wish she'd wait for you to come back instead of fucking around with that ghost. Not that I blame her coz the ghost is too adorable. I had tears in my eyes during the scene with the sad song and Kishna hugging that white cloth with Lacchi's footprints on it... and also when he broke down in front of his dad when he failed to convince him that he's the real son. I feel like hugging him. In fact, the ghost is so wonderfully lovely and the husband is so desperately lonely that I feel for them both. If it were up to me, I would not know which one to choose! I guess I also feel a personal dissatisfaction over Lacchi's choice. You said it's about women's emancipation, that she has been given a choice and she chose her happiness. But I don't agree. Our happiness should never be at the expense of someone else's. And to allow the ghost to possess her innocent husband just so she could have her lover back, that is so selfish of her that I cannot even begin to tell you how much I disagree with her decision.

I wish Lacchi would be patient enough to wait for her husband, or brave enough to hide in his cart and follow him to his business place, and stand firm in her choice to accompany him however much he would try to push her away. I wish she could be more courageous in her effort to be with the husband whom she's married than opt for an affair that both she and the ghost know would end in 5 years. That kind of irresponsible behaviour, I just cannot accept it. The ghost is so seductive in his apparent honesty and he's so cute coz you're the one who play him so I guess I can't really blame Lacchi for being tempted. But still, I wish she had not surrendered to her fear of being left alone without a man by her side. That said, I love the scene on the rooftop after their lovemaking (yes, yes... every time I watch the film, I rewind it a lot). The 'dhat' in Paheli reminds me of the 'ish' in Devdas. I thought both sound cute and catchy. I also like the scene where the ghost got tickled with the peacock feather he gave Lacchi. It's so lovely and poignant. The simple love story of a regular married couple, except that they’re not really married ^^;

I love the ghost for obvious reasons, but I also think that were Kishenlal to be given a chance, he would grow into someone I could love too. I love all the characters you play that most times when I’m watching the movies, I feel as if a torrent of words were sloshing around in my head regarding how I feel about the hero/villain/whoever you’re playing in it. Maybe I’ll blog about each of them some day.

No comments:

Post a Comment