Thursday, September 23, 2010

Earn college credit by studying something/someone you love!

What if you're asked by your supervisors to attend a conference on Shah Rukh Khan or get some college credit by studying Twilight??

Makes me feel like I've been living on the wrong track of life all along. I have to finish this study first if I want to shift course to avoid getting penalized for breaking the term of my scholarship.. but still, I wish I had the courage to throw caution to the wind and just quit so I could work at something I like.. comics of course. I want to work in a comic publication environment!

This is one of those times where I utter under my breath.. "Wish I had not gone on and done what my parents wanted me to do" ....hmmm.



In recent years the circulation of Indian Cinema in a globalized world has become a focus of academic research from a wide range of disciplines and theoretical perspectives. A growing number of publications and conferences have been dedicated to the topic that embraces films and audiences as well as diverse cultural practises and performances. Furthermore, the role of the ICT in these processes has emerged as a new point of interest, in particular in regard to the study of participant audiences and fan cultures. The relationship of Bollywood with post colonialism, global flows, and transcultural processes functions as the overarching framework that shapes cinema contexts today.

Located in the centre of Europe the conference wants to act as a meeting point between European and international scholarship on Shah Rukh Khan and Global Bollywood. In addition, it aims at engaging with young scholars on the topic and at providing a platform to showcase their studies.

* * * * *

Posted by Pamela on September 18th, 2010 | Comments (37)

Ever wish you could get college credit for studying “Twilight”? Well, if you’re lucky enough to attend California State University San Marcos in Southern California, now you can!

According E! Online, students at CSU San Marcos can now register for a course entitled “Twilight: The Text and the Fandom,” offered by the university’s Women’s Studies department.

According to the course description, the class covers:

“vampire lore, the romantic core of the series, female characters and fans, the depiction of men and masculinity, religious contexts, race and white privilege, the franchising of Twilight, and various cultural contexts such as abstinence only education and the rise of internet fandoms.”

Do you think there’s a place for “Twilight” in a university setting? If your school offered this class, would you sign up? Let us know in the comments!

You can also click here to check out E! Online’s full article, which includes a list of courses offered at various universities around the United States revolving around current pop culture phenomenons such as Lady GaGa and Harry Potter.

No comments:

Post a Comment